Care of Books
Care of Books
- Silence is to be observed at designated areas within the library.
- Smoking is forbidden in all parts of the library
- No food or drink is allowed in any part of the library. This includes toffees, fruits, candies, biscuits etc.
- Bags, gowns, raincoats, umbrellas, cameras, scanners, tape recorders, etc., must be deposited with the library staff at the main entrance and a tag collected. It must be noted that such items are deposited at the owners’ own risk and the Library disclaims responsibility for any loss of or damage to any items so deposited.
- Firearms and other offensive weapons are not allowed into the Library.
- Pets are not allowed in any part of the Library.
- No seat shall be reserved by or for any reader. Any seat so reserved shall be cleared by the library staff for use by others.
- Any book recalled shall be returned within 72 hours or fines will be imposed after three days.
- All readers must enter and leave the library through the main entrance facing the University Square.
- Readers may not enter staff offices except by invitation by a staff member.
- All borrowed materials are to be returned three days to the end of each semester.
- All borrowed materials are to be returned by three days to the end of each semester.
- Failure to return all library books by the end of the academic year may result in examination results being withheld till books are returned.
- Failure to return all library books by the end of the academic year may result in examination results being withheld till books are returned and all overdue fines paid
- Orderly conduct must be maintained at all times in all parts of the library.
Offences and Sanctions
Offences & Sanctions
The following shall constitute library offences:
a) Offence: Failure to return borrowed books and related material on due date.
- General Collection: Offender shall be liable to the payment of a fine of 50Gp per day up to 7 days; thereafter GH¢1.00 a day plus loss of borrowing facility till books are returned.
- Special Reference Libraries: Hourly charge of GH¢1.00 plus loss of borrowing facilities until books are returned.
b) Offence: Loss or misplacement of books and related materials.
Offender will pay twice the current price of the book including shipping and handling charges, plus a processing charge of GH¢100.00.
c) Offence: Unlawful acquisition of library materials / stealing.
- Ordinary books - Rustication for 21 days. In addition, the member shall lose borrowing rights for one semester.
- Reference books - As in (1) above plus possible dismissal.
- Rare books - Dismissal
d) Offence: Mutilation of books and related materials.
A user who commits this offence shall be dismissed from the University.
e) Offence: Failure to return books and other materials on demand. (i.e., when a book is recalled)
Suspension from the University plus any overdue fines.
In the case of a Senior Member who commits any of the above offences, a report shall be made to the Vice-Chancellor and the Registrar for appropriate sanctions to be instituted against him/her. For non-university staff, use of the library will be denied with other appropriate sanctions.
f) Flouting of the General Rules of the Library Regulation could result in the Library imposing appropriate sanctions on the offender(s), including the suspension of the use of the library.